Sponsors For Family Visas To Be Scrutinised More CloselyMarch 21, 2016
The Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Honourable Mr. Peter Dutton MP, recently announced in Federal Parliament that his Department proposes to enhance and tighten sponsorship undertakings before a sponsor is allowed to sponsor a foreign visa applicant for residence in Australia. He believes that under current settings there is little focus on the character of the sponsor or the responsibility that attaches to the sponsorship. Family sponsorship undertakings are “unenforceable” because there are no consequences for non-compliance unlike those of employer sponsored applications.
His main concerns are that:
- Some sponsors are vulnerable to being targeted by visa applicants who are motivated solely on a permanent visa outcome; and
- Australians with a violent history are able to sponsor without disclosing details of their past.
The proposed amendments would address these issues by extending the sponsorship framework that currently applies to the temporary work sponsored visa program to the family sponsored visa program as well. This would mean that there would be:
- A sponsorship assessment separate from the visa application;
- Statutory obligations on sponsors;
- Civil penalties and administrative sanctions for breaches of sponsorship;
- Information sharing between parties identified in the sponsorship application;
- An improvement in the management of family violence where it occurs in the family visa program.
To read the Minister’s full text of his speech click http://www.mia.org.au/documents/item/874
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Immigrating to Australia and the Advantages of Becoming an Australian Citizen
- Student Visa System in Australia: Most Common Reasons for Refusal and Rejection
- Australia's Cultural Diversity: History and Facts
- The Best Places in Australia that Would Give You all the Reasons to Immigrate to Australia
- Why Is the Points System Important in Australian Immigration Procedures?
- ARE YOU PENNY WISE BUT POUND FOOLISH?
- NEW LIMITATIONS ON APPROVAL OF SPONSORSHIPS FOR THE PARTNER AND PROSPECTIVE MARRIAGE VISA APPLICATIONS
- Looking for the Best Immigration Consultancy Firm in Melbourne? James Tan Immigration Consultants Is Your Answer
- Understanding Australian Immigration Laws
- Tips on Choosing Which State or Territory You Should Immigrate to in Australia
- The Importance of Immigration Assistance and Consultancy Services When Applying to immigrate to Australia
- AUSTRALIA - THE MOST FAVOURED COUNTRY FOR IMMIGRANTS
- AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRATON HISTORY
- What is The Immigration Criteria in Australia for Skilled Workers?
- WAENSILA’S CASE COMPELS CHANGES TO DEPARTMENT OF IMMIGRATION’S GUIDELINES ON SCHEDULE 3 CRITERIA
- Top Reasons Why People Immigrate to Australia
- How can Immigration Lawyers or Consultants Help You with Your Australian Immigration Visa?
- Sponsors For Family Visas To Be Scrutinised More Closely
- Australia Immigration: New Pathway for New Zealand Citizens to Obtain Permanent Residence in Australia